11.12.2008

"The beauty of a woman.."

I run into so many Mom's that always want photos of their children, their children with their Daddy's, but none of themselves. They feel they look overweight, frumpy, or just not "put together" ....I can't tell how disheartening it is to hear this more and more. What Mom doesn't have a few pounds to lose? Or doesn't always get a chance to paint their nails? Or has an occasionally (or daily for me!) bad hair day? None of us are perfect.

What kind of example are we setting for our children by letting them think we aren't "good enough" for a photo? We are who we are, and to not have a healthy self-image is an insult to God, really. He made us and we are all beautiful in his eyes.

It's really been on my mind to encourage my readers to encourage your Mothers, your friends, your girlfriends, sisters, cousins....whoever! Life is short and we all want the best for our children...and I know as a Mom I want to be able to pass photos onto my daughter and my future grandchildren. What if I pass before I get to know them? Well, they will at least have photos to see and stories to hear from my daughter.

Take the time to snap a shot with your children, makeup or not. These are the moments you will cherish long after your children are grown and gone.

This quote really says it all.

"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.
True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul.
It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows.
And the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years.
" -- Audrey Hepburn

4 comments:

TheVanzants said...

Very well said, Dana.

I, too, am guilty of all of that - but, you brought it to the forefront of my mind and I'll keep it there and think on those things as I watch my Reese grow up!

Ashlee Davis said...

you are definitely on to something! I had a lady come and tell me how grateful my kids will be for the violin pics. I really didn't get it then because that is all she said but you really made me think of the magnitude of her words. Maybe I should stop deleting those pics of me with my kids that I don't like myself in so much! I think in 20 years I will then think I looked pretty good ha!

The Panke's said...

As someone who lost a parent before my child was born I agree. It is very important for children to have photos with both parents. My father was always the picture taker and now I have very few to share with Olivia:( We do take photos at our house no matter what-good or bad.

Anonymous said...

this is the reason why I am having family pictures with me in them my girls get on to me all the time. for not getting in the picture. thanx.